Our Preschool teacher found a set of scales to measure the watermelon on. She asked the children if they knew what the scales were?
Some of the children’s comments and responses were priceless:
- “A foot temperature.”
- “a foot clock”
- “A foot timer”
- “It tells how old you are.”
- “It tells how many size your feet are.”
- “A thing what Grandma said it’s a weight board. It times your feet.”
- “A clock to put your feet on.”
- “It tells you how much you cost.”
It was fascinating to hear their answers and understanding of the concept of weight.
The watermelon was weighed and came in just under 10 kilos! After this the children all had a turn weighing themselves and then various other objects from around their room.
By building on real life experiences, our educator was being creative and resourceful in providing opportunities for the children to expand their knowledge and understanding. This experience is now being extended in the preschool room, as the children continue to explore the concepts of weight and measurement.